NIAA Terms of Reference
The National Institute of Academic Anaesthesia (NIAA) will, with respect to anaesthesia and related specialties: (i) improve patient care by promoting the translation of research findings into clinical practice, (ii) develop and maximise its academic profile within the healthcare profession, NHS, Universities and major research bodies; (iii) facilitate high profile, influential research; and (iv) facilitate and support training and continuing professional education in academia.
2. Organisational structure
2.1 The NIAA will be established within the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA).
2.2 It will be governed by the NIAA Board which will be accountable to the RCoA trustees.
2.3 The NIAA Board shall constitute reporting committees and/or working parties as required in order to achieve its objectives.
3. NIAA Board
3.1 The NIAA Board will be the body with overall responsibility for the following components of the NIAA:
- i. NIAA Research Council
- ii. Health Services Research Centre
- iii. Academic Training
- iv. Military Anaesthetic Research
3.2 The NIAA Board will ensure that the overall vision and strategy of the NIAA is achieved and maintained.
3.3 The membership will comprise:
- Chairman (RCoA Council member, appointed by RCoA President);
1 RCoA Vice President;
2 RCoA Council members;
2 Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI)
1 BJA Director;
1 representative from funding partner organisations
1 Royal Centre for Defence Medicine representative.
2 trainee representatives (preferably 1 academic trainee);
1 senior academic in anaesthesia;
1 Health Services Research Centre representative;
1 lay representative from the RCoA's PLG.
3.4 Subject to the provisions of Section 15 of the Financial Regulations of the College, the Board may establish a sub-committee, sub-group or working party, to consider any matter falling within the Board's terms of reference and to report on that matter to the Board.
3.5 The Board may also co-opt, either for the periods specified in the co-option or for a single meeting, any persons who are specially qualified to assist the Board.
4. NIAA Research Council
4.1 The NIAA Research Council will be governed by its research funders and usually meet on the same day of the NIAA Board. The minutes of the Council will be received by the NIAA Board and other stakeholder organisations.
4.2 Its remit will be to:
- (i) develop and deliver the research strategy of the NIAA;
- (ii) adopt a co-ordinated approach to research funding, which will be administered through the NIAA whilst maintaining the identity of the stakeholders;
- (iii) agree budgets on a project by project basis, allocate research funding such that its clinical activity will be recognised by the UKCRN e.g. national advertisement, open competition, comprehensive peer review;
- (iv) seek and encourage the involvement of other funders of anaesthetic research.
4.3 The NIAA Research Council will be responsible for the development and agreement of its own operational arrangements for project management (e.g. allocation of staff, venue of project meetings).
4.4 The Committee's finances will be totally transparent and reported regularly to partner organisations.
4.5 The initial membership of the NIAA Research Council will be comprised of equal representation from the initial funding bodies (i.e. AAGBI/Anaesthesia, BJA and RCoA) as well as leading senior academics in anaesthesia. The degree of financial commitment at any particular time by each body will not influence the extent of their representation. The initial members will be:
- 2 representatives from the RCoA, one who will be the Chairman (for a fixed period) and the Vice-Chairman;
- 1 representative from the BJA;
- 1 representative from the AAGBI;
- 1 representative from Anaesthesia.
- 1 senior academic in anaesthesia, who will be agreed by the NIAA Research Council, who will not normally be on the NIAA Board
Representatives from funding partner organisations (See Appendix I)
- 2 representatives from the Research Priority Setting Exercise
- 1 NIAA Grants Officer
- 1 Health Services Research Centre representative
- 1 lay representative from the RCoA's PLG
- 1 NIHR CLRN Lead for Anaesthesia
4.6 The strategy of the NIAA Research Council will be consistent with the overall vision of the NIAA.
4.7 The NIAA Research Council will be able to establish a sub-committee, sub-group or working party, as required.
4.8 The NIAA Research Council may also co-opt, either for the periods specified in the co-option or for a single meeting, representatives from other research funders and specialist advisors as required and decided upon by its members.
5. Other committees
5.1 The terms of reference of other NIAA committees will be formulated by the NIAA Board as appropriate.
6. Administrative support
6.1 The RCoA will provide estate, managerial and administrative support for the work of the NIAA Board and its sub-committees, and meetings of the NIAA Research Council
6.2 Administrative arrangements for the NIAA Research Council sub-committees and project teams will be agreed and funded by its members.